I thought I would share two of my favourite protein snacks. These two are delicious and really quick and easy to make, the ingredients are also easy to get and do not cost the earth, I wanted to save some money on all the bars I was buying!
I made both of these recipes during nap time, it can be done and both bakes stayed fresh for a week after baking. I wanted to find something delicious to eat when I get that 4pm slump and need filling up until teatime, especially when breastfeeding. I also needed a good, wholesome snack to fuel later gym sessions as I cannot function on an empty tank! I recently bought some quality, plant based protein powders that I wanted to incorporate in my baking, as protein is essential for exercise and to keep me going. The ingredients are natural and both recipes are gluten free. Texture is also really key to a good snack and these are both beautifully squidgy and moist (sorry!)
Pumpkin Protein Bars
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup melted and cooled coconut oil (I use the ‘groovy food company’ and love its flavour)
- 2/3 cup smooth almond butter or peanut butter would work too (I use ‘pip and nut’)
- 2/3 cup of tinned pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of peanut protein powder (I use ‘that protein’ plant based protein)
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, apart from the chocolate chips.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips and pour the mix into a greased or lined tin.
- Cook for 35- 40 minutes at 180 degrees.
TOP TIP: Enjoy a slice with cashew butter or any other nut butter!
Cacao and Banana Protein Loaf
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vanilla agave syrup or honey
- ¼ cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups of almond flour
- ½ cup of oat flour (ground up oats in blender)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 scoop vegan cacao protein (I use ‘that protein’)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Whisk together all of the wet ingredients
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients separately then add dry to the wet.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips and pour into a greased loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on the top and put in the oven at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
TOP TIP- Warm a slice up in the microwave for a few seconds and add a layer of chia or baobab raspberry jam!
If you like these please check out my instagram @mummy_fuel for more nap time baking inspiration for hungry mummies. Enjoy!!